I most definitely should not be posting on here right now with the amount of work I have to do, but I cannot keep this to myself any longer! I had an epiphany in my sleep last night. As per usual bedtime routine, whilst I tried to fall asleep, I debated with myself what to have for breakfast after my 7am spin class I had the next morning. Into my slumber I fell, and there it occurred to me: why not combine two of my favourite breakfasts in one bowl?! I truly do not know how I didn’t think of this sooner.
To make your bog standard porridge you require milk
(or water if you’re mad) and oats; for this smoothie-porridge, instead of adding the milk straight into the saucepan with the oats, you put it in the blender with your desired fruit and whizz it up to create a thinnish smoothie – then add it to the pan and let all your porridgy cravings be fulfilled.
The recipe I’m sharing today is perfectly autumnal and heart-warming – all you need to brighten your day in this dreary UK weather. A combination of milk, blackberries, blueberries, dates, cinnamon, and vanilla whey protein powder all whizzed up into a smoothie before adding to the oats in a saucepan – it was an absolute dream and I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
- I like to use ordinary semi-skimmed milk in my porridge, but of course you can use whatever milk you fancy – almond milk would be my second choice and works just as well.
- Any fruit combination will work, just make sure there’s enough milk in the blender so that the consistency of the smoothie is closer to milk than smoothie!
- I topped my porridge with a generous sprinkling of Lizzi’s Original Granola – but only because that’s all I had (life of a student); if I was at home I would have put more blueberries on top, goji berries, and perhaps some flaked almonds.
- This is not something you should make everyday, it is quite carb heavy for breakfast. I treated myself today having done a 45 minute spin class followed by 45 minute weight training in the gym.
Ingredients (yields one large bowl)
1/2 cup jumbo rolled oats
1 cup chosen milk
1 handful blueberries
Dash of cinnamon
1/2 scoop vanilla whey protein powder
- Put the oats into a saucepan with a thin layer of milk to cover them, so that they begin to soften whilst you prepare the smoothie.
- Place the remaining ingredients into the blender and blend until smooth, ensuring the right consistency is reached – add more milk if the smoothie is too thick.
- Pour the smoothie into the saucepan with the oats and cook on high heat until the edges begin to bubble.
- Turn the heat down to medium and stir regularly for 5-6 minutes.
- Pour the porridge into a bowl and top with whatever takes your fancy!
P.S I’m going home to London this weekend for a friend’s 21st – so expect LOTS of new posts coming soon! Cannot wait to get baking!