Day 2 and I haven’t craved for anything yet, granted it’s early days, but this does bode well for the coming month! I have to say I started off with a pretty major challenge to my self-control; after a breakfast of eggs and aubergine stuffed with cauliflower rice for lunch, I went out for dinner with some of the girls to Las Iguanas. Normally this would be no issue as I have to hand it to them they have a whole 2 separate menus for gluten free and veggie/vegans, but of course this doesn’t quite cut it on Whole 30. After much deliberation and the fear of being that person, I decided on the steak from the grill, which was the only option on the menu that didn’t require me to be awkward and ask for stuff on the side or subs etc… But boy I cannot tell you how badly I wanted to order a side of their deep fried sweet potato chips. I also managed to refrain from 2 for 1 cocktails and chocolate fudge cake for dessert. I sat and watched/drooled. Indeed it was hard, but the satisfaction when I got home knowing that I’d stuck it out far outweighed the momentary bliss I would have had in cheating.
Having woken up fresh as a daisy and guilt free, I forced myself out on a 6 mile run in -7C (note to self: don’t ever do that ever again). When I returned, and finally regained feeling in my hands, I prepped today’s on the go lunch of cauliflower rice, kale, broccoli, and a sweet potato. I truly believe the key to success is preparation and planning. I already prepared the cauliflower rice and sweet potato, so all I had to do this morning was literally fry the broccoli and kale for a few minutes, bung it all in some tupperware and there you have it a portable lunch.
Cauliflower Rice with Kale, Broccoli and Sweet Potato
Ingredients (serves 1)
6 sun-dried tomatoes chopped
1 clove garlic minced
5 long stemmed broccoli
Large handful of kale
1/2 sweet potato
Coconut oil for cooking
Salt and pepper to taste
Sprinkle of flaked almonds
- Microwave sweet potato for 4 minutes, then flip it over and microwave for another 4 minutes and set aside.
- Meanwhile, grate the raw cauliflower into a bowl. Add chopped tomatoes, 1/2 clove of garlic, and salt & pepper.
- Heat coconut oil in a pan and add the cauliflower rice mixture, cooking for around 3-4 minutes – not too long or it will turn to mush. Transfer into tupperware when done.
- In the same pan, now add the kale, broccoli, and the other half of the garlic clove. Fry for 4-5 minutes and then transfer to the tupperware on top of the rice.
- Chop the sweet potato into cubes and place on top of the kale/broccoli. Finish off with a pinch of salt, crack of black pepper, and a sprinkling of almonds.